Air Coolers and Portable Air Conditioners; to the uninformed eye, these appliances may appear one and the same. However, there are some distinct differences between them- most notably, how they cool air.
In this article, I’ll go into the Air Cooler Vs Portable Air Conditioner debate and explain how each device works while discussing the benefits and drawbacks of each.
Air Cooler Vs Portable Air Conditioner
Let’s start with Air Coolers first. These devices provide cooling through evaporation. They primarily use a fan and water-soaked process to get rid of heat. The fan draws in hot air and forces it over the water-soaked pad. This reduces the air temperature, similarly to how our bodies cool down when coming in contact with water. Afterwards, the cooled air is blown out into the room.
Advantages Of Air Coolers
- Less expensive compared to Portable Air Conditioners.
- They’re easier to maintain.
- They don’t emit any sort of gases harmful to the environment.
- Low energy consumption; most models use very little electricity; they use less than 100-50 Watts.
- Much easier to install.
- Low noise levels.
- Usable both indoors and outdoors.
Drawbacks Of Air Coolers
- Not ideal for large spaces; they won’t work well at all for any rooms a little over 300 sq. Ft.
- An extra effort needs to be put into choosing the capacity of the water tank; a lower than adequate capacity will greatly impact performance.
- They don’t offer precise temperature adjustment as air conditioners do.
- The water storage is required to be refilled constantly.
- Most models can’t reduce more than 3-5°C of heat.
When should you buy an air cooler?
You should use an air cooler if the heat in your area isn’t particularly high. You’ll get decent cooling without wasting much energy. This kind of appliance is also a much better choice if portability is an important factor- after all, you can even use it outside if you want to.
Recommended Reading: How to increase the cooling of Air Cooler? 7 Tricks that will cost you nothing
Portable ACs are fairly recent technology, and they have a cooling system that’s significantly different from an Air Cooler. They use the same mechanism that full-sized Window AC or Split ACs do; they take in the hot air from the room, cool and dehumidify it using a refrigerant, and release the cooled air back into the room.
Advantages Of Portable Air Conditioners
- They cool the room far more effectively; they can reduce heat by 10°C.
- More precise temperature adjustment settings.
- They’re not reliant on a water tank.
- Some models come with a “reverse cycle” mechanism that can provide heating instead of cooling.
- Better performance in unusually humid areas.
- Less need for maintenance.
Drawbacks Of Portable Air Conditioners
- They cost significantly higher than air coolers.
- They use up a lot more electricity.
- As they use refrigerants like normal ACs, some models can harm the environment.
- More effort and time are needed for installation.
- Noise production is much higher than in air coolers.
- They can only be used indoors.
When should you buy a portable air conditioner?
If you live in an area with high humidity levels, need a large room to be cooled or simply need more cooling than an air cooler can offer, you can go for Portable ACs.
Do note, though, while these ACs can offer much more area coverage than air coolers can, they still can’t handle very large rooms particularly well. If you need to cover a large area, it’s better to go for full-sized best AC instead.
Recommended Reading: How to reduce AC power consumption? Tips & Tricks
Air Coolers Vs Portable Air Conditioners: Comparison Table
Here’s a brief table comparing the main differences of the two devices.
|Factor||Portable ACs||Air Coolers|
|Heating||Available In Some Models||Not Available In Any Model|
|Ease Of Installation||Professional Required||Easy|
|Noise Levels||High For Most Models||Low|
|Cooling Efficiency||Decent||Better Than Standard Fan|
|Area Of Usage||Indoors Only||Both Indoor And Outdoor Use|
Frequently Asked Questions
This section of the post will give you detailed answers to some of the most common questions asked about these appliances.
Recommended Reading: Top AC brands in India(2022) and what you should expect from them
So, between Air Coolers Vs Portable Air Conditioners, which one wins? There’s no obvious answer. They’re both good for different purposes. Air Coolers are good for light cooling and use less power, while Portable ACs can provide much more powerful cooling.
It really all comes down to your needs. If you need something for a small space that can be moved around easily, go for an Air Cooler. If you need stronger cooling power in general, go for Portable ACs. I hope this post helped you learn more about these appliances.
That’s all. Stay healthy and stay cool; I’ll see you in the next post.
- 9 Best 1 Ton AC In India – Expert Reviews And Extensive Buying Guide 2022
- Repair your AC vs get a New One: The Checklist
- Air Conditioner not turning on? Follow this Checklist
- A Full Analysis Of The Samsung 198 L 4-Star Inverter Single Door Refrigerator: Can It Be What You Need? - December 12, 2022
- A Close Look At The Modest Yet Powerful LG 190 L Inverter 4-Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About The New Godrej 190 L 5-Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022