Is it time for you to buy a new washer? Front Load vs Top Load Washing Machine: You certainly must get all your facts right on the same.
Table of Contents
Television advertisements are filled with a plethora of washing machines available in the market today. Before you select the brand, features or capacity, the first step is to choose the type of washing machine.
Gone are the days when we spent hours washing clothes manually. Undoubtedly, this appliance has made its way into every home today. When I conducted a survey understanding how many have actually recognized the difference between the two appliances, I was pretty much amazed by the results. Unequivocally, everyone is aware of the most obvious differentiation, that’s the placement of the door. But what next? The disparity between the two washing machines goes way beyond that.
Hang on; it’s totally fine if you know nothing about it. My blog has every little detail you should be well versed with. Shall we begin?
Front Load Washing Machines
Washing machines with a door right on the front are called ‘front loaders’. Some of the exclusive features of front loaders are – 6 motion direct drive, an in-built heater, auto restart, 4D wash system, child lock, laundry add, turbo wash, aqua engine and more.
Advantages Of A Front Load Washing Machine
- Front-load washing machines do come with a larger capacity. The appliance does not have a central axis like the one in a top loader. This fabrication gives more room for the items to fit in.
- The door opening from the front makes it convenient to fit the appliance underneath any cabinet.
- The tumbling motion in a front loader creates more friction between the clothes. Therefore, you can expect the clothes to come out cleaner.
- The water consumption by a front-loading washing machine is less than that of a top loader.
- The use of detergent by front loaders is minimum.
- The mechanism of a front-loading washing machine is such that it drains most of the water in the process. This reduces the drying time substantially.
- The appliance requires less water, less detergent and less power. This makes it a highly efficient appliance.
- The appliance is great for delicate clothes.
- Most front-loading washing machines are quieter compared to top loaders.
Disadvantages Of A Front Load Washing Machine
- Due to a large capacity, front-loading washing machines are costlier compared to top-loading washing machines.
- Front loaders are only available in fully automatic models.
- Loading and unloading of the appliance require bending of the user. This could be a problem for people with back issues.
- Compared to top loaders, the dimensions of a front loader is more. Therefore, it can consume more space.
- Vibration is an issue with any front loader.
- The wash cycle in this appliance consumes more time compared to a top loader.
- Front-loading washing machines require proper maintenance. They are prone to have musty odours in the tub.
If you are looking to explore the best front-load washing machines in India, you cannot go unnoticed on our blog – The 7 Best Front Load Washing Machine in India (2023): Expert Picks.
Top Load Washing Machines
As the name suggests, the appliance has its door right on the top. Some of the exclusive features of top loaders are – a waterproof motor, punch +3, auto-balance technology, ZPF technology, spiral wash and more.
Advantages Of A Top Load Washing Machine
- The most obvious advantage of a top-loading washing machine is the placement of the door.
- Top loaders are lighter in weight and are equipped with wheels. Therefore, they are easy to move around.
- Top-loading washing machines are always low on vibrations.
- Mould growth and foul odour do not seem to be a problem in top-loading washing machines.
- Compared to front loaders, top loaders require less maintenance.
- The top-loader washing machine does not have a large door on the front. This makes the appearance of the appliance sleek, smooth and eye-pleasing.
- Even the best top loading washing machines cost less than front loaders.
Disadvantages Of A Top Load Washing Machine
- The consumption of energy, water and detergent is more in top loaders.
- Due to the mechanism of an agitator in the appliance, it is not highly recommended for delicate clothes.
- Compared to front loaders, top-loading washing machines are equipped with fewer features.
- Top-loading washing machines cannot be placed under any cabinet.
- The appliance has fewer wash features.
- Most top-loading washing machines do not have in-built heaters.
Looking to explore the best top loading washing machines in India? Our blog on- List of 7 Best Top Load Washing Machine in India by the Experts has some cool and exciting options.
Front Load Vs Top Load Washing Machine: Detailed Comparision
Let’s compare the two appliances based on a few parameters. Once you are done reading this section, you will know which is the best washing machine as per your requirements.
Let’s begin with the most obvious differentiation between the two types of washing machines. Front-load washers have a thick glass insert right at the centre of the appliance. In a certain way, this may look a bit obnoxious and impact the look and appeal of the appliance. However, this is not the case with a top loader. The appliance has a door on the top, which does not come in the way of the look appeal of the machine. Rather, the door placement makes the appliance look sleeker and flawless.
Ease Of Use
Before making any purchase, you must definitely be sure of the appliance being user-friendly. Comparing the two washing machines, using a top-loading washing machine is far easier compared to a front-loader. A top-loader does not require the user to bend. You can conveniently stand at the height level to load and unload clothes. On the contrary, access to a front loader does require the user to bend each time for loading and unloading. This can be a problem for people with back and joint issues.
Consumption Of Space
Space consumption is another criterion for every Indian household. In the case of a front-loader, the opening requires the door to swing out, and this mechanism requires more space for accessibility. Also, the dimensions of most front loaders are generally more than that of top loaders.
The spin speed of the washing machine is also recognized by the rotation per minute (RPM). Higher the RPM, the more the spin speed. The best front load washing machines spin 33% quicker than a top-loading washing machine. Also, most front loaders are equipped with the quick wash feature, unlike top loaders.
Care Of Fabric
Due to the agitator, top loaders can get offensive with delicate clothes. The functioning of the appliances involves tangling of clothes, and they also harshly pass water. This mechanism leaves wrinkles on clothes and can also damage delicate clothes. It doesn’t end there; top loaders can also dull your fabric colours. However, this is not the case with front loaders. They are more gentle with intricate fabrics.
Consumption Of Detergent And Water
Top-loading washing machines are equipped with an agitator, which creates a motion by forcing water through the machine. This mechanism makes the appliance consume more water and detergent. It also causes a lot of vibration in the appliance. On the contrary, the functioning of a front loader requires less amount of detergent and water.
We have already discovered how top loaders can be tough on clothes. In case the appliance is overloaded, it can deteriorate the cleaning efficiency of the appliance drastically. Also, washing comforters or any other large items can be difficult in a top loader. On the contrary, a front loader is gentle on clothes, and no matter how loaded it is, the appliance is certainly way more efficient than the former.
Presence Of Foul Odour
A smelly washing machine means smelly laundry. And this can be a serious concern. Front-loaders are prone to be left with mildew around their door opening, leading to foul odour in the appliance and the laundry. However, this is not the case with top-loading washing machines. You can be certain about not facing this problem.
In case you are wondering how to clean your washing machine, my blog has everything you need. You would love to read my blog on the Best Ways To Clean Your Washing Machine.
I am not so sure if you have given enough importance to this aspect. If you ask me, I would say it is extremely important. A hot water wash unquestionably enhances the cleaning quality and eradicates all the stains effortlessly. The best front-loading washing machines are equipped with an in-built heater. However, top loaders are yet lacking this feature. You have to put in hot water for a hot water wash manually.
Cost is a significant aspect to influence the buying decision of any appliance. And why not? Front loaders are typically more expensive compared to top loaders. You can find the best front load washing machines in the range of Rs. 20,000 – Rs. 80,000. However, finding a good top loader will cost you anywhere between Rs. 10,000 – Rs. 20,000.
So, certainly, the upfront cost of a front loader is more than that of a top loader. However, if you see that you may save more money with a front loader in the long run. That’s because of the consumption of water, detergent and energy. Also, front loaders are totally feature-packed appliances. So, it’s worth every penny.
Number Of Wash Programs
There’s a reason why I said a front loader is more feature-packed compared to a top loader. The appliance comes with several wash programs depending on the model and the brand you choose. You will have access to different wash programs for different types of fabrics. For example – normal, cotton, synthetic, delicate, mixed fabrics, cradle and more.
In case you plan to get your hands on a top loader, be ready to be deprived of the above-mentioned wash programs. You will have access to minimum wash features.
Most front loaders are advanced and equipped with a LED display and integrated control panel. Every good thing comes at a cost. This means maintaining the appliance can be taxing. It is also prone to damages, and repairing a front loader can cost you a substantial amount. However, this is not the case with a top loader. It is low of damages, and maintaining the appliance is easier.
Front Load Vs Top Load Washing Machine: Quick Comparision Table
|Parameters||Types of washer|
|Which washer is easy to use?||Top-loading washing machine|
|Which washer consumes less water||Front-loading washing machine|
|Which washer is easy to maintain||Top-loading washing machine|
|Which washer has a better aesthetic appeal||Top-loading washing machine|
|Which washer is more budget-friendly||Top-loading washing machine|
|Which washer has a higher capacity||Front-loading washing machine|
|Which washer consumes less space||Top-loading washing machine|
|Which washer has a higher RPM||Front-loading washing machine|
|Which washer is more reliable||Front-loading washing machine|
|Which washer has the least smell issue||Top-loading washing machine|
|Which washer has a better cleaning efficiency||Front-loading washing machine|
One Last Thought
Front Load vs Top Load Washing Machine: Don’t you know every possible little detail about it already? Well, if you are still in a bit of a dilemma, I am here to simplify things further for you.
Why Should You Buy A Top-Loading Washing Machine?
- The appliance is more convenient to use.
- Top loaders are relatively inexpensive.
- You can conveniently add laundry in the middle of the wash cycle.
- It is a good option to have if you live in an area with an erratic power supply.
Why Should You Buy A Front-Loading Washing Machine?
- The appliance has all the advanced features like – an in-built heater, steam, self-cleaning and more.
- Front-loaders are more energy and water-efficient.
- You can place them underneath a cabinet easily.
- They assure a longer lifespan of your clothes.
PS: We have curated a special list of pocket-friendly options for my readers as well.
- How to Find the Best Washing Machines under 15,000 for your Home? Take a Look
- Looking for the Best Washing Machines under 20000? Top 9 Picks by the Experts
- A Full Analysis Of The Samsung 198 L 4-Star Inverter Single Door Refrigerator: Can It Be What You Need? - December 12, 2022
- A Close Look At The Modest Yet Powerful LG 190 L Inverter 4-Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About The New Godrej 190 L 5-Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022