This appliance certainly needs no introduction by me. A mixer grinder is in every single kitchen today. The comfort and convenience it imparts are totally unmatched. And you wouldn’t agree any less on this. What I do need to guide you on is how to choose a mixer grinder.
Table of Contents
Have you ever logged on to Amazon in search of the best mixer grinder? Were you flabbergasted with the available options? So many brands, so many models. All of them cater to the same requirements. So how do you decide upon one? How do you differentiate between them? How do you know which is the right one?
Hey, do not get puzzled about it. Just don’t pick one option because you like the colour or brand name. There’s more to it. There’s a whole thought process that should go behind selecting a mixer grinder for your home. Let me walk you through this journey of picking the right one for your home.
How Does a Mixer Grinder Work?
Before we get to the process of selecting one, let’s know a little bit about the appliance. Well, getting into the technicality of it may or may not be of your interest to. But aren’t you curious to know about how this magical appliance has made our cooking activities effortless? It’s a time saver for sure! So, let me tell you in short how mixer grinder works.
- The motor begins to rotate the blades as you turn on the appliance.
- The blades spin at a super high speed. The rotation per minute differs with every appliance.
- The circular swirling movement produces a vacuum in the centre.
- The vacuum created in the centre moves the contents towards the axis.
- The swivel motion moves the ingredients on the sides.
- With the help of these movements, the ingredients form a good consistency and develop a smooth paste.
What is the Power Consumption of a Mixer Grinder?
Of course, anything that runs on electricity consumes a substantial amount of power. With so many appliances consuming energy – Air Conditioners, Microwave Oven, Refrigerators, Washing Machines, Geyser, Mixer Grinders and many more; electricity bills can be a rip-off. Therefore, it is best to be aware of how much energy each one consumes so you can economize as much as possible.
Let’s find out what is the power consumption of the mixer grinder. Calculating it is super simple. You only need to be well acquainted with the following terms – Mixer wattage, operational time, Tariff per unit and units of electricity.
- Mixer Wattage: Every mixer grinder has a wattage that’s mentioned below the appliance. It is the rate at which the mixer grinder will consume power. It is generally between 500 – 1000 watts. We are assuming it to be 750 watts here.
- Operational Time: The operational time is the number of minutes or hours your mixer grinder functions in a day.
- Tariff per unit: The tariff amount is what the electricity provider charges for every unit of electricity. It is good to be aware of it. Let’s assume it to be Rs 3 per unit.
- Power consumption (KiloWatts)= Mixer grinder wattage *operating time per day / 1000
Note: When you want to calculate per month, you must multiply with 30 (assuming 30 days in a month). For per year calculation, multiply with 365 (days in a year).
Best Mixer Grinder Brands
There are a plethora of mixer grinder brand options available in the market today. You can’t just pick any without giving second thoughts about its functionality. Every brand has its exclusivity and caters to specific requirements. So, which is the best brand for mixer grinders? I have a couple of options. Let me brief you on them.
Philips was founded in 1891 with the motive of enhancing people’s well being and health with its significant innovations. The brand is excelling tremendously with its quality products related to personal care, air care, cooking, lighting, health solutions, automative parts, sounds and vision. Besides providing hi-end solutions, Philips is also known for its unmatched after-sales services.
Exclusive Features offered by Philips Mixer Grinders
Here are a few distinctive features offered by Philips Mixer Grinders.
- Power chop technology to deliver superior chopping results no matter how tough the ingredients are.
- All the accessories are dishwasher safe. So, you can conveniently put them in the machine for the aftermath.
- The gear drive technology enables RPM reduction and will let you enjoy fine grinding, kneading, chopping, slicing and grating.
- The auto-cut off feature is designed to provide maximum protection to the motor. Therefore, it elongates the lifespan of the motor and the appliance as a whole.
- Some of the best Philips mixer grinders feature the smart one-touch mode. These appliances have digitally programmed pre-set menus for maximum convenience while cooking. You will have options like- smoothies & shakes, meat mincing, vegetable grinding and more. All you have to do is choose your option and derive the best results.
The price range of Philips Mixer Grinders
Philips mixer grinders are available in a wattage rating of 500 – 750W. The price of these appliances depends upon the wattage, the number of jars, and the mixer grinder features. The best part about Philips is that it caters to premium as well as commercial ranges. So, you can find options in the range of Rs. 2,000 – Rs. 14,000.
2. Preethi Zodiac
Founded in 1978, Preethi is one of the largest sellers in the mixer grinder segment. Barring that, the company also caters to other kitchen solutions like gas stoves, kitchen chimneys, coffee makers, electric cookers, choppers, juicers, kettles and induction cooktops. The brand is successfully redefining Indian kitchens for more than four decades with all its latest technologies.
Exclusive Features offered by Preethi Zodiac Mixer Grinders
Here are a few distinctive features offered by Preethi Zodiac Mixer Grinders.
- The turbovent technology ensures that the mixer body and ingredients do not get very hot in the process of grinding. Due to this mechanism, the taste and freshness of the ingredients are retained.
- Some of the models feature an all-steel body. Preethi Zodiac was one of the first ones to own the feature. The anti-finger mark coating will keep all the fingerprints away. So, the cleaning process does not become troublesome for users.
- Preethi mixer grinders are equipped with super sharp blades to deliver precise grinding. The benefit does not end there. You can be ready to experience the results in less than half the time.
- Some hi-end models also have pre-set menu options for atta kneading, preparing purees, batter making and coconut chutneys. This definitely serves in getting a fine texture.
The price range of Preethi Zodiac Mixer Grinders
Most Preethi Zodiac mixer grinders come with a powerful motor of 500 – 1300Watts and a five-year warranty. The brand also promises a two-year warranty on the product. If you are looking for some economical options, the range starts from Rs. 2,500 onwards with lesser features. The high-end models with top-notch features go upto the range of Rs. 15,000.
Bajaj is certainly one of the renowned names in the Indian market. The brand was born in 1926 with its automobile products; soon, it also made a mark in various other segments- Home and Kitchen appliances, Iron and steel, Finance etc. Bajaj mixer grinders are well-loved amongst users for their long-lasting and robust characteristics. It’s known to be the commoner’s pick.
Exclusive Features offered by Bajaj Mixer Grinders
Here are a few distinctive features offered by Bajaj Mixer Grinders.
- Say goodbye to bacteria and dust with the anti-bacterial and anti-dust body. This special coating makes sure the food prepared in the appliance remains absolutely hygienic. There will be complete protection against all the germs, and therefore cleaning the appliance will also be swift.
- The best Bajaj mixer grinders feature the tetra flow technology for maximum consistency while grinding and mixing. The mechanism also helps in the process of getting it done earlier.
- Like I have already mentioned above, the long-lasting quality makes it an attractive buy. The premium quality ABS body is corrosion and rust-proof. The durability factor of Bajaj mixer grinders is totally unmatched.
- You can be sure of all ingredients’ original nutrients and taste remain intact, even if you are operating it at high speed. The Nutri pro feature takes care of that.
The price range of Bajaj Mixer Grinders
Bajaj mixer grinders come with a powerful motor of 500 – 1000 Watts. The price falls in the range of Rs. 1,500 – Rs. 7,000. It is economically priced considering the requirements of the masses. However, there’s no compromise on the quality whatsoever.
3. Morphy Richards
The British brand, Morphy Richards, is ruling the European market since its establishment in the year 1936. Gradually, it also made its way to the Indian market and has become a top pioneer in Home and Kitchen solutions. The brand claims to be the ‘Master of Grinding’ due to all the exclusive features it offers. Let’s have a look at them.
Exclusive Features offered by Morphy Richards Mixer Grinders
Here are a few distinctive features offered by Morphy Richards Mixer Grinders.
- Morphy Richards mixer grinder features the pulse mode, enabling the appliance to work at the highest possible speed. At this stage, the blades move the bulk ingredients on the top and release the ingredient stuck on the jar wall.
- Like most other mixer grinders, Morphy Richards also have overload protection for the long life of the motor and appliance. You can be sure of experiencing no burning smell.
- Every mixer grinder comes with its limitations on its continuous operation time. Morphy Richards guarantees flawless operation for 30 minutes at a stretch.
- Morphy Richards mixer grinders are equipped with exceptionally high-quality plugs for maximum safety. In case of any electrical fluctuations, your appliance will remain safe.
The price range of Morphy Richards Mixer Grinders
Morphy 500- watts mixer grinders begin from the price range of Rs. 2,000 and 750-watts start from the range of Rs. 3,000. So, make a pick after exploring all the features. All the mixer grinders come with a two-year warranty on the product and an exceptional five-year warranty on the motor.
The Indian make Sujata was established in 1980 to provide the highest quality kitchen solutions at great value for money. The brand has built a glorious reputation over three decades with its kitchen appliances and provided maximum productivity without compromising quality. Not just homes, but Sujata juicers, blenders and grinders are perfect solutions for cafes, juice parlours and hotels.
Exclusive Features offered by Sujata Mixer Grinders
- Sujata Mixer Grinders have a special ‘whip’ button for the vigorous beating of ingredients. Once you turn it, the blade will move in a zigzag motion, and the food ingredients will be grinded in no time.
- The double ball bearing appliances ensure the highest efficiency and low maintenance. So, you can experience trouble-free operations.
- The brand has designed the products keeping consumer safety in mind. All the appliances are completely shockproof.
- The mixer grinders are highly rugged and stable. They can run for 90 minutes continuously without any vibrations.
The price range of Sujata Mixer Grinders
These mixer grinders come with a powerful motor of 900 watts and a standard two-year warranty on the product. Buying the appliance will certainly not hurt your pocket. You can find the best Sujata mixer grinder options in the range of Rs. 2,000 – Rs. 7,000.
That was a crisp list of the best mixer grinder brands. Dig deeper into the features of each brand and know a few names on my blog 9 Best Mixer Grinders in India 2023 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide.
How to Choose A Mixer Grinder?
If you are muddled about what to look for when buying a mixer grinder perfect for your home, I am here to your rescue. Sure, you must think that every mixer grinder functions the same way, so how do you decide which is the right one for you. Well, some important aspects you must consider. Let’s have a look at them.
1. Wattage and Speed
The wattage of a mixer grinder is the first thing you must look into. I have often been asked how much watt of mixer grinder is good. Well, it depends upon what your requirements are. The most commonly used mixer grinders are 500 watts and 750 watts. If you are looking for tough grinding of ingredients like idli batter, rice powder and masalas, you must consider purchasing a mixer grinder with 750 watts or more. For grinding of spices and other light ingredients, 500 watts should be sufficient for you. In any case, the rule applies as the higher the wattage, the better it is.
Speed is the next aspect you must look into. It is defined by the rotation per minute, also known as the RPM. The RPM of a mixer grinder will state how fast the blade will move. The best mixer grinders have an RPM anywhere between 18000 – 23000. It will work well for your domestic use.
2. Safety Features
When safety is concerned, leave no room unidentified. Most mixer grinders are equipped with a lock mechanism for the user’s safety and prevent them from any undesirable accidents. Unless the jar is locked properly, the motor will not start. Therefore, you will completely be in safe hands.
The overload protection is a must-have feature. It helps in preventing the appliance from any kind of damages. In case the appliance runs for a very long time continuously (beyond what’s mentioned by the manufacturer), the mixture grinder will cut off the power supply. It will do the same even in case of overload.
The Brand plays a very important role in defining the quality of any product. A mixer grinder is no exception to this. I have already spoken about some of the finest and big names in this segment – Philips, Preethi Zodiac, Bajaj, Morphy Richards, and Sujata. Barring them, there are more deserving candidates like Panasonic, Prestige, Orient and Insala.
4. Types of Blades
As tiny as it looks, mixer grinder blades are the most important component. They are solely responsible for all your grinding activities. The blades are made of stainless steel to ensure high-level durability and force. There are different types of blades.
- Dry grinding blade: It is used for grinding dry spices like masalas, coffee beans, cashew nuts, coriander, cloves etc.
- Wet grinding blade: It is used for preparing different batters and pastes.
- Chutney grinding blade: Coconut, red chilli, ginger and various other chutneys can be prepared with the chutney grinding blade.
- Mincer blade: The mincer blade is great for mincing meat, crushing ice and grating dry fruits.
5. Number of Jars
Every mixer grinder comes with multiple jars in different sizes. Some have two, some have three, and some have four. More number of jars will only increase the flexibility in cooking. Therefore, having more is only going to help you. I would recommend you buying a mixer grinder with at least three jars. Four would be a bonus.
Price definitely plays an important role in making any purchase. Most mixer grinders are affordable. However, every brand has a different price range due to its exclusive features. I would recommend deciding the brand first and then the factor in the price aspect. Do not go the other way round.
Benefits of a Mixer Grinder
What is the use of a mixer grinder? Is that what’s playing on your mind right now. This appliance can do wonders and make your cooking preparations effortless.
- A mixer grinder is one of the most uncomplicated appliances to use. You don’t have to go through any manual even before operating it.
- The appliance will help prepare various food items – milkshakes, ginger garlic paste, chutneys, dips, sauces, batters, masalas, purees and many more.
- Mixer grinders are one of the least energy-consuming appliances.
- It saves on cooking time significantly.
- The appliance reduced manual effort.
- All mixer grinders have different speed settings. So, you can adjust as per the food ingredient and the preparation.
- It is definitely low on maintenance and cost.
- A good mixer grinder is there to stay with you for a long time.
- Cleaning the mixer grinder is not at all time-consuming.
Those were benefits of a mixer grinder. Hell yeah! The appliance can surely make life so easy. Just like every coin has two sides, even a mixer grinder does. It does have a set of limitations. However, nothing major and can easily be worked upon, except one. A mixer grinder can get really noisy. And that can be so infuriating. If your mixer grinder produces sound above the normal decibel level, you should get it fixed ASAP. You must know that the fault lies in the motor and hence it is best to contact an expert. The downside of the appliance is limited to know. So, bringing home the best mixer grinder is a win-win situation for you.
One Last Thought
So, guys, that was a complete guide about how to choose a mixer grinder. You know everything about it from the working, advantages, important aspects and best brands of a mixer grinder.
A best friend to a homemaker. This indispensable appliance holds an important place in every kitchen today. There’s no meal which does not have the slightest involvement of it. Choosing the right one for your home can be slightly intimidating. But do I need to mention that I am always there to guide you? Any queries beyond what’s discussed? Shoot in the comment section below.
PS: Let’s grind in style with the best one!
- A Full Analysis Of The Samsung 198 L 4-Star Inverter Single Door Refrigerator: Can It Be What You Need? - December 12, 2022
- A Close Look At The Modest Yet Powerful LG 190 L Inverter 4-Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About The New Godrej 190 L 5-Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022