If you are baffled about how to install a geyser in your bathroom, this blog will simplify the whole process for you.
Table of Contents
The geyser installation procedure comes across as a very complex one, but trust me, it isn’t. However, it is imperative you do it the right way. Imagine not have access to hot water on a cold, windy and chilly morning. Isn’t it a horrifying thought?
Now first thing first! Get yourself the best geyser. If you find the process intimidating, glance through our blog 11 Best Geyser (Water Heaters) In India 2023 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide. Once you have found your companion, you need to install it the right way. How do you do that? Please leave it to me!
Incorrect Geyser Installation: End Results
- It can cause your geyser to explode.
- Improper installation lowers the safety factor.
- The water will not get heated up.
- Incorrect installation will cause the water heater to leak.
- It will result in an overheating geyser.
- You may find some water leaking through the ceiling.
- It can damage the thermostat.
Do you want to victimize these unpleasant scenarios? I won’t let you. So, let’s get the geyser installation process correct.
How does a Water Heater Work?
Before we get to the water heater installation, let’s be completely aware of the appliance’s functionality. Here’s the list of components that play a role in providing hot water.
A Dip Tray: The drip tray is either made of plastic or steel. Installing it is not an option, but a necessity since the water heater sits on this component. A 40 mm PVC waste pipe must fit the tray.
Drainpipe: The drainpipe is connected to the drip tray. This component helps drain out all the sediments that build up over time in the bottom of the water heater.
Pressure and temperature valve: The pressure and temperature valve are safety elements. They keep the pressure and temperature in the geyser within safety limits.
Shut off valve: The shut-off valve in the geyser completely terminates the water flow in it. This component is placed on the outside. It is used to shut off the unit if there is any need for repair or replacement.
Overflow pipe: A leak from the geyser is a major concern. The overflow pipe is fabricated to indicate when the situation is out of control. The maximum water level in the geyser tank should be one inch below the overflow pipe.
Anti-corrosion anode rod: The anode rod is made of either magnesium or aluminium. This rod is suspended in the geyser tank to aid retard corrosion.
Thermostat: A thermostat is a temperature control device in a geyser. It acts as a coordinator between the geyser and the heating element. Once the water is heated completely, the thermostat gets into action. If it senses the water in the tank to be not so hot, it turns on the element.
Drain valve: The drain valve is placed at the bottom of the storage tank. The component holds all the water in the tank. It plays an important role in making the process easy of replacing elements or moving the tank.
Electrical Isolator switch: This switch is imperative for safety concerns. It makes sure the person working on the geyser remains absolutely protected and safe. Once the switch is turned off, all the current is physically isolated. Therefore, there will be no scope of anyone being electrocuted in case of any repairs or new installations.
In case you are wondering, how did this add any detail to the subject? Yes, it did. Do not be naive about anything. Before you know how to install a geyser in your bathroom, be assertive about all geyser components and their role. Guess what; you know it all. So, you are already halfway through knowing what you are here for.
How to use Water Heater?
Have you bought yourself a new water heater or geyser? Here are some best ways to use the appliance for optimum output. Let’s have a look at the DOs and DONT’s.
- DON’T keep the geyser on for a long time: This one’s a common mistake. Most people keep the heating appliance on for longer than required. Once the water reaches the desired temperature, please turn it off. It’s a sheer waste of energy to keep it on. Installing a timer will be a great option.
- Do repair leaky faucets immediately: Well, this may sound like the obvious one. But why do I feel most of you become negligent about it? Prove me wrong with my disclaimer, and I’ll be more than happy. Leaky faucets can become a big nuisance. Repair it immediately, or you will get disheartened with the water and money wastage.
- DON’T choose the wrong size: If geyser installation is on your mind, you must know that choosing the right size is predominant. Select one in accordance with your family size and requirements. Choosing an oversized one will only give you skyrocket energy bills. Our blog on 11 Best Geyser (Water Heaters) In India 2023 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide have various options with different capacities. Don’t forget to have a look!
- Do consider the energy rating: Just like an air conditioner, every geyser has also been rated by the BEE. The best geysers come with a five-star rating to do justice to their efficiency. So, you know what to do. Make a smart choice.
- DON’T hang on the old one for long: If your washing machine or air conditioner has aged and is giving you too many problems, what do you do next? Replace it, right? The same goes for the geyser. Replacing it when it’s beyond repair is the best option. How long does a geyser last? Is that your next question to me? A decade! If you have picked one of the best geysers from our blog, it will last you for good ten years.
How to Install Electric Geyser?
Here’s a step-by-step guide to an electric geyser installation process. You can either hire a professional or do it yourself.
We’ll first begin with how to remove the old one.
- Step 1: Turn off the electric connection at the circuit panel to your geyser.
- Step 2: Ensure there is no power reaching the appliance. One clever way of doing so is with the help of a voltage detector.
- Step 3: Disconnect all the wires.
- Step 4: Turn on the hot water faucet. Let the water run until it’s cool. Then go ahead and shut off the cold water supply.
- Step 5: Connect the drain valve to a hose.
- Step 6: Then drain the tank completely by opening the valve.
- Step 7: Open the faucet, drain the water faster, and let the air in the tank.
- Step 8: Open the T&P valve, disconnect the discharge pipe, set it aside.
- Step 9: Remove the hot and cold water supply pipes.
- Step 10: Use a hand truck to remove the old geyser tank.
Second, now let’s get to installing a new one. A geyser installation kit is sure to make the process easier for you.
- Step 1: Prepare the new plumbing lines with the help of sandpaper cloths. Rub the sandpaper on the ends until they shine.
- Step 2: Fix the new geyser tank into a drain pipe.
- Step 3: Position the T&P discharge to the valve.
- Step 4: The geyser inlet-outlet connection now comes into consideration. Connect the cold water supply and hot water supply with the respective inlets. Using flexible hoses for this connection will be a good idea.
- Step 5: Make use of dielectric connectors to attach the flexible hoses to the trap nipples (cold and hot). You will also need to line the threads with plumbers tape.
- Step 6: Tie up the flexible hose to one end of the connector body.
- Step 7: Check the flexible hose for any leaks.
- Step 8: Install the discharge pipe to the T&P valve.
- Step 9: Slide the compression nut into the pipe. Then press the pipe into the connector and tighten the compression nut.
- Step 10: Turn on the hot water tap and check for leaks.
- Step 11: Fill the water heater tanker and connect all the electrical wirings.
- Step 12: Then connect the green ground wires to the screws and twist the wires with the connectors.
- Step 13: Turn on the circuit breaker at the main power.
So, that was the easiest and quickest electric geyser installation method. Sounds uncomplicated, right? You certainly don’t have to look elsewhere now.
One Last Thought
After reading my blog, if you feel qualified for an electric geyser installation, go for it! Don’t be anxious. The whole process of removing the old one and getting a new one installed will take you less than four hours. However, this is subject to unforeseen conditions.
Once you have managed to install the unit and experiencing trouble sooner than you should, have you recognized the culprit? Hang on, what am I here for?
- A devastating leak
- A fault in the upper element
- Electrical issues
In any of the above cases, please don’t get your hands on it. Your safety is my utmost priority. Without a second thought, call for expert help.
Before we part ways, I have a question for you. Just out of curiosity, which out of the available best geysers have you chosen? I’ll wait for your reply in the comment section.
- A Full Analysis Of The Samsung 198 L 4-Star Inverter Single Door Refrigerator: Can It Be What You Need? - December 12, 2022
- A Close Look At The Modest Yet Powerful LG 190 L Inverter 4-Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About The New Godrej 190 L 5-Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022