A hot shower hits differently after a long day of work. A geyser was invented with the idea of keeping ourselves warm in the winters. But don’t we use it throughout the year now? Refreshing and energizing- that’s how magical a hot shower can be! Certainly, you cannot have one without the best geyser at Home. Instant geyser vs storage geyser: That’s what I am here to speak about today.
Table of Contents
My readers are in a bit of a dilemma about making this choice. So, this blog is on request. However, most people are unaware of the difference between an instant geyser and a storage geyser. Well, you don’t have to shy about it. Give me a few minutes, and you will know it all.
I will differentiate the two types of geysers based on several parameters and provide you with an in-depth comparison. So, you are sure to know which one’s perfect for your home.
1. Instant Geyser
Instant geysers, invented in 1929, are also known as tankless water heaters. It has the most advanced geyser technology available in the market today. Not so popular in India yet, but it’s gradually making its mark.
As the name suggests, ‘instant’ this water heating technology can deliver water instantly along with a good flow rate. The heating capacity is inversely proportionate to the storage capacity of this appliance.
Instant geysers come with a compact capacity of 1 -6 litres and a high heating rate of 3kW or 4.5kW. The power consumption of instant geysers depends on gas or electricity.
How does an Instant Geyser function?
- Step 1: Once the tap is turned on, the water enters through the inlet pipe.
- Step 2: The system detects the flow of water.
- Step 3: The appliance then activates the heating unit rapidly.
- Step 4: The heat exchanger gets heated at a high rate when the water circulates through it.
- Step 5: The heat exchanger then heats the water to a desired temperature.
- Step 6: The hot water goes into the outlet pipe.
- Step 7: Once the tap is turned off, the instant geyser will not heat water anymore.
- Step 8: The process begins once the faucet is re-opened.
Instant geysers need a minimum flow rate of 0.5 gallons per minute for a certain amount of flow rate to get the unit heated up.
How to use an Instant Geyser?
- Step 1: Make sure there is a good flow of water (mentioned above).
- Step 2: Let the water heat up for about a minute.
- Step 3: You will then notice a neon sign indicating the hot water is ready for bathing. In case the sign does not appear, adjust the water flow by opening the outlet.
- Step 4: Time to indulge in a hot shower.
Advantages of an Instant Geyser
- Minimalist Design: An Instant geyser is surely a space-saver. The compact design makes it convenient to mount this appliance in any corner. The tankless water heater can be your best option to have if you are under a space constraint.
- Fresh Water: Unlike the traditional geyser, an instant geyser has no storage tank. This eliminates the chances of the water getting dirty because of the tank. The good part is that there will be no sediment or rust build-up of the tank. You can also expect negligible bacterial growth. So yes, your water will be 100% clean.
- Energy Efficient: The running cost of a tankless geyser is in moderation. Once you turn on the tap, the process of the water getting heated up is super quick. The process will immediately stop as soon you turn off the faucet. This mechanism makes the appliance energy efficient. The functioning of an instant geyser is speedier compared to the traditional one. Based on an experiment, it has been concluded that you can save about 30% on the energy cost assuming a water requirement of 40 gallons daily.
- High on Convenience: An instant geyser is designed to heat the water instantly. It means, unlike the storage one, you do not have to wait for your water to get heated up. If you are always in a rush, this will work as a massive advantage to you.
- Eco Friendly: Instant geysers are known to be one of the most eco-friendly home appliances. This is because there is zero percentage of greenhouse gas emissions. So yes, using the tankless water heater is beneficial to you and your environment.
- Enhanced Lifespan: The durability of this appliance is one of its unique perceived benefits. The tankless water heater is built to last. They come with a long lifespan of 10-15 years. If you use the appliance with appropriate care, it may even last you two decades.
- Super Safe: All the instant geysers are equipped with a thermostat that cut off the power supply once the water reaches the desired temperature. Also, the best instant geysers have a high-pressure valve that will work towards draining out the hot water to lower the pressure in the geyser. High pressure in the geyser can be really risky. It can result in an explosion.
- No heat loss: Instant geysers are designed to provide hot water constantly until you turn off the faucet and quickly. This mechanism eliminates the chances of heat loss.
- Versatility: Of course, instant geysers are great for hot showers. Barring washroom placement, you could also have it in your kitchen or near the washbasin. The compact size can make it happen comfortably. The exciting part is that you could also get it installed near your bathtub.
Disadvantages of an Instant Geyser
- More Maintenance: I have already mentioned how instant geysers are incredibly durable. But here’s the deal. It can last long only when maintained well. This heating appliance requires proper annual servicing because they alienate lime deposits, diminishing the efficiency and water flow in the appliance. Also, if you live in areas with a hard water supply, you may have to install a water softener. This is sure to upskill your maintenance cost.
- High on cost: Sure, an instant geyser has a list of advantages. However, all good things come at a cost, isn’t it? The upfront cost of this appliance is way more than that of the traditional one. Also, installing the unit will cost you more. In case of any fault, the fixing charges will also be exorbitant. So yes, the cost of an instant geyser is on the higher side in every aspect.
- High wattage: An instant geyser has a high wattage despite low consumption of energy. High usage of this appliance may cause excessive load on the power grid. And this could result in some serious damage that could be beyond repair.
- Low on capacity: Compared to a storage geyser, the instant geyser is way low on its capacity. The size varies from 1-10 litres. It can be a great option for nuclear families. Also, this unit does not have any storage capacity. Hence, it can be a huge problem if you live in an area with a power failure problem.
- Not operational with a low flow rate: Instant geysers may or may not be functional with low water flow. Most models function when the water flow per minute is a minimum of 0.5 gallons, and some function with a flow rate of 0.26 GPM. If the water flow rate is less than that, the instant geyser will fail to operate.
- Not functional in cold areas: The instant geyser has its limitations in areas with cold temperatures. In case the outside temperature drops below 2 or 3 degrees, the water will freeze. This will cause the flow rate of water to decrease, and the instant geyser will stop functioning.
2. Storage Geyser
Storage geysers, also known as tank-type water heaters, are definitely very popular. The unit has a tank with a capacity of storing hot water upto 50 litres. Just like the instant geyser, this one too works on electricity or gas.
These units have insulated walls, which decide the time duration of the water to remain heated after turning off the geyser. Once you turn on the storage geyser, it will release hot water from the top of the tank, and the bottom will be substituted with cold water. However, the tank may require a while to heat the water for use.
How does a Storage Geyser function?
- Step 1: The inlet draws the cold water into the tank.
- Step 2: The water then gets into the dip tube, which takes the cold water to the bottom of the tank.
- Step 3: The water then moves to the heating element.
- Step 4: The thermostat senses the water temperature. If the water in the geyser is not so hot, the thermostat turns on the heating element.
Advantages of a Storage Geyser
- Large storage capacity: These units are big. The best storage geysers can store upto 50 litres of hot water. It means you are never running out of hot water. Your quest for a hot shower will not depend on power availability. There will be few extra gallons of hot water always stored up for you.
- Low on cost: Budget certainly plays an important deciding factor while making any purchase. Even the best geysers with all the top-notch features come at an affordable price. Besides the upfront cost, maintaining a storage geyser is also cheaper than the instant one. In case of any repairs, fixing the damages won’t hurt your pocket.
- Easy to install: A complicated installation process can be a turn-off. But that is not the case here. Installing a storage geyser is super simple. Also, the process involves no additional charges. It is mostly provided by the manufacturer free of cost.
- User friendly: Using a storage geyser involves no complications whatsoever. It is one of the most commonly used appliances. It is scoring high on the list of user-friendly home appliances. You will need absolutely no guidance on how to use this appliance.
- Eco Friendly: Here is one common factor between both the appliances. Like the instant one, a storage geyser also ensures no emission of greenhouse gases. Thereby making it an eco-friendly appliance.
Disadvantages of an Instant Geyser
- Durability: The best storage geysers come with a warranty period of two years and can last you easily for good five years. This means they are less durable compared to the instant geysers. The main reason behind a shorter lifespan is the availability of a storage tank.
- Bulky: Storage geysers are big, and some of them are even bulky. If you are planning on getting one installed, you need to be sure of having adequate space. Therefore, if space constraint is your problem, getting a storage geyser installed will not be the best option.
- Less energy efficient: Storage geysers cannot provide hot water as quickly as instant geysers. The mechanism is such that heating up water can take some time. Also, over some time, the stored water loses all the heat. Therefore, the heated water has to be reheated again. Due to this, the unit consumes a lot of energy, adding to the operating cost.
- Time-consuming: This is one of the major drawbacks of a storage geyser. Unlike instant geysers, these units require a lot more time to provide hot water. Even the best storage geyser would typically require ten minutes to provide hot water.
Instant geyser vs Storage geyser- Quick Comparison Table
|Point of Differentiation||Instant Geyser||Storage Geyser|
|Hot water provision||Instant||Time-consuming|
|Available sizes||1-6 litres||10-50 litres|
|Best suited for||Smaller Families||Larger Families|
Tips to Maintain a Geyser
No matter which geyser you choose – instant or storage; you must handle it with care to last as long as it can with maximum efficiency.
Follow my tips to maintain a geyser.
- Do not keep the geyser on for a long time.
- Install the geyser with some adequate space around it.
- Annual maintenance is a must.
- Make sure the geyser is installed on a firm wall.
- Keep an eye on the power socket.
- Replace the pipes immediately in case of any fault.
How to find the Best Geyser for your Home?
You cannot just pick a water heater without giving it a thought. Each geyser has its perks and shortcomings. It is imperative to do detailed research and then jump to a decision. Here are a few factors you must consider before bringing this appliance home.
- Water Tank Material
- Electricity Consumption
- BEE star rating
- Water pressure
- Automatic shut off feature
- After-sales services
Do you want to dig deeper into each aspect? Just drop by the blog on the 11 Best Geyser (Water Heaters) In India 2023 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide.
One Last Thought
Instant geyser vs storage geyser: Who wins the rat race? To be honest, there is no winner here. It depends on what your concerns are. Make a wise choice accordingly. The working, construction, cost and capacity is completely different of the two. Both types of geysers have their own set of pros and cons. What is your priority? Let me know!
Cheers to finding the best geyser for your Home.
- A Full Analysis Of The Samsung 198 L 4-Star Inverter Single Door Refrigerator: Can It Be What You Need? - December 12, 2022
- A Close Look At The Modest Yet Powerful LG 190 L Inverter 4-Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About The New Godrej 190 L 5-Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022