If you are out there looking for the best refrigerator in India for your home, this blog is your saviour! Single door vs Double door vs Side-by-Side door Refrigerator: Which one are you considering? Hold on, wait for my detailed comparison.
A refrigerator is a pivotal part of our daily routine. From sipping onto refreshing drinks to sustaining our edibles to stocking up on frozen food, this appliance is a rescuer for every little and big thing. Doesn’t our kitchen go upside down if the refrigerator does not function for a day?
How do we quench our thirst without cold water? What about storing milk and fresh food? How about the fruits and veggies? We start to wonder about all these questions. Therefore, it wouldn’t be wrong if we called a refrigerator an indispensable appliance.
Certainly, everyone factors in the brand, features, colour, cooling technology, energy ratings and the type. Coming to the type of refrigerator, how do you determine which one’s best for your home? Are you in a dilemma? Leave that to me then. By the end of my blog, I promise you will be well versed with the functionality, pros and cons of each refrigerator. And hey, not just that. You will be ready to bring the best one home.
Types of Refrigerators
- Single Door
- Double Door
1. Single Door Refrigerator
As the name suggests, these refrigerators have one door only. They have been the first pick for most families due to their affordability and compact size. The appliance is equipped with glass-tempered shelves, stabilizer free operations, multiple storage compartments and various other features. However, single door refrigerators have their limitations, capacity being the major one (50-250 litres). Therefore, it may be suitable for some families and not suitable for some.
- It is best recommended for: A bachelor or a couple.
- Price range: You can find the best single door refrigerators in the price range of Rs. 10,000 – 25,000.
- Best Brands: LG, Samsung, Whirlpool.
- Exclusive Features: Antibacterial gasket, Honeycomb moisture, Intellisense inverter technology, Insulated Capillary. It would help if you also looked at our blog on the 9 Best Single Door Refrigerators in India 2023 – Reviews & Buying Guide to dig deeper into the features.
Advantages of a Single Door Refrigerator
- They are the most inexpensive refrigerator. The budget-friendly price makes it convenient for every pocket.
- The size is compact and does not occupy much space.
- Single door refrigerators are known to consume less energy and generate less heat.
- It is an ideal option for a small family. The refrigerator comes with a maximum capacity of 250 litres.
- The appliance ensures to keep all the germs and bacteria away with its antibacterial gasket.
- They are capable of maintaining coolness for long hours, even in the absence of electricity.
Disadvantages of a Single Door Refrigerator
- The direct cool technology leads to the build-up of ice. This ice formation has to be defrosted manually. It has to be done frequently, or else the efficiency of the refrigerator drops down.
- Due to its limited capacity, it’s not a good option for larger families.
- You cannot have access to the freezer without opening the refrigerator.
- This appliance has limited space. Therefore, accommodating tall bottles and bulky vessels is not possible.
- Non-vegetarians may not be very complacent with this appliance due to its limited freezer space. There is very little provision to stock the ready to eat frozen packages.
- Single door refrigerators lack the hi-end modern features available in their counterparts.
2. Double Door Refrigerator
Double Door refrigerators are known to occupy a space in most Indian households today. Unlike single door refrigerators, these are equipped with two doors – one for the freezer and the other for standard cooling. These appliances come with a capacity of 235 to 500 litres. The best double door refrigerators come with a 10-year warranty on the compressor, twin cooling technology, and an auto smart connect option to a home inverter. If you are not convinced with the capacity of a single door refrigerator, upgrade to this one right away!
- It is best recommended for: A double door refrigerator is an ideal solution for a family with more than three members.
- Price range: You can find the best double door refrigerators in the price range of Rs. 20,000 – 60,000.
- Best Brands: LG, Samsung, Whirlpool, Godrej, Panasonic, Haier
- Exclusive Features: Convertible modes, Deodorizer, I-Micom Linear cooling, auto defrost, stabilizer free operations, Moist balance crisper. Look at our blog on the 9 Best Double Door Refrigerators in India 2023 – Reviews & Buying Guide to dig deeper into the features.
Advantages of a Double Door Refrigerator
- In a double door one, you can have access to the refrigerator and the freezer independently.
- Double door refrigerators have frost-free technology. Therefore, there is no requirement for you to defrost the ice manually.
- It is an ideal option for a medium to large-sized family.
- The freezer compartment is big enough for you to stock up as many things as you like.
- Bigger vessels and bigger bottles- yes, you place both of them conveniently. You will have access to big-sized shelves.
- The vegetable compartment is also large enough for you to store the entire week’s veggies.
- The best double door refrigerators are equipped with some hi-end features that help in enhancing their performance and making the appliance more convenient for the user.
- The cooling mechanism in the double door refrigerators aid in preserving food for hours.
- The shelves have enough space in between and are also large.
- These refrigerators are also equipped with a few safety features like anti-tip, sealed cooling, etc.
- A double door refrigerator can operate at various speeds.
Disadvantages of a Double Door Refrigerator
- You can find a double door refrigerator at a moderate price. However, if you are looking for a large capacity and top-notch features, it can get expensive.
- It is an unnecessary investment for a bachelor or a couple.
- The dimensions are way bigger than a single door refrigerator. Therefore, they consume more space.
- Double door refrigerators consume 30-40% more energy compared to single door refrigerators.
3. Side-by-Side Refrigerator
Not such an old invention, a side-by-side refrigerator is still making its way in the Indian household. The appliance comes with an incredible capacity of 500 – 700 litres. It truly has an impressive design offering two large vertical compartments – freezer and refrigerator. Some call it a ‘wardrobe looking appliance, ‘ but I would call it super stylish and super chic. The best side-by-side refrigerators are equipped with a touch control panel, LCD, smart digital sensors and many more cool features.
- It is best recommended for: A side-by-side refrigerator is a perfect companion for a joint family. Any household with more than five or more members should have no second thoughts about investing in this one.
- Price range: You can find the best side-by-side door refrigerators in the price range of Rs. 70,000 – 2,00,000.
- Best Brands: Bosch, Haier, Panasonic, LG, Samsung
- Exclusive Features: Vista fresh German technology, PUF insulation, Ice dispenser, Space Max technology.
Advantages of a Side-by-Side Refrigerator
- The freezer capacity is large, and it has various shelves and compartments. This gives enough room to store everything in an uncluttered way.
- Opening the doors require less space.
- Just like the double door refrigerators, this one too has an auto defrost functioning.
- It is the perfect option for a family comprising 5-6 members.
- The best side-by-side refrigerator models are equipped with a separate wine rack.
- All the models are sleek and stylish looking. They are sure to add a premium touch and amplify the aesthetics of your modular kitchen.
- The availability of a water and ice dispenser will give you the convenience to not open the refrigerator or freezer at all.
- Some of these refrigerators also feature a door cooling mechanism. This technology keeps a cool temperature even in the door section.
- Fruits and vegetables have different sections for storage.
- The interiors of a side-by-side refrigerator are very well organized. You can effectively arrange everything and keep it organized.
- These refrigerators are equipped with detachable shelves. You cannot adjust them at your convenience.
Disadvantages of a Side-by-Side Refrigerator
- The most obvious one is the potential cost. Buying the best side-by-side refrigerator is relatively expensive compared to the other two. All of them come at a premium price.
- Speaking about the dimensions, they are pretty wide. Therefore, you need to be sure of having that much room in your kitchen.
- No matter how spacious the refrigerator looks, placing big casseroles and pots can be problematic.
- In case of any breakdown or damage, repairing the refrigerator will be exorbitant.
Single Door vs Double Door vs Side-by-Side Refrigerators: Which is the right one for your home?
By now, you are well versed with all three types of refrigerators. If you have the slightest confusion even now, there’s nothing to worry about. I will walk you through a few parameters for intricate comparison. You are sure to know the right one then.
|Parameters||Single Door Refrigerator||Double Door Refrigerator||Side-by-Side Refrigerator|
|Refrigerator Capacity||50 - 250 litres||235 - 500 litres||500 - 700 litres|
|Recommended for Family size||A bachelor or couple||Best for a medium-size family (3-4 members)||Best for a large family (5-7 members)|
|Consumption of energy||Low consumption of power||High consumption of power||High consumption of power|
|Freezer capacity||Small freezer size||Higher than a single door refrigerator||A very spacious freezer. More than both the other options|
|Cooling technology||Direct cool||Frost-free||Frost free|
|Space between the shelves||Less shelve space. It cannot accommodate big vessels.||It can comfortably accommodate big vessels.||The shelves are spacious. However, the spacing between the two may be less to accommodate big casseroles and pans.|
|Price range||Single door refrigerators are the most economically priced. You can find the best ones in the range of Rs. 10,000 to 25,000||Double door refrigerators have both options available- low and high budget ones. You can find the best ones in the range of Rs. 20,000 - 60,000.||Side-by-side refrigerators are elaborately priced. You will find options in the range of Rs. 70,000 - 2,00,000 (sometimes even more). However, they are valuable.|
|Consumption of floor space||A single door refrigerator consumes the least amount of space.||A double door refrigerator occupies more area.||A side-by-side refrigerator has really wide dimensions. Hence, they consume more space too.|
|Defrosting of the freezer||You have to defrost it manually.||Double door refrigerators have an auto-clean feature.||Side-by-side refrigerators have an auto-clean feature as well.|
How do you decide which is the right refrigerator for your home?
That was a comprehensive comparison between a single door, double door and side-by-side door refrigerator. So, how do you decide which is the right one for your home? Throw these questions at yourself.
- What are the features you are looking at?
- What is your family size?
- What are your space requirements?
- What is your budget?
- How much free space do you have in your kitchen?
- What are your freezer requirements?
Once you know the answers to all these questions, you know which is the best refrigerator for your home.
One Last Thought
Single door vs double door vs side-by-side door Refrigerators! We have nailed everything about each one of them. I am sure you already have decided by now. But I would only like to mention something. Do not compromise with your budget. A refrigerator will last you easily for 10 – 20 years. It will stay as long as you want it to. So free your budget a little bit, explore the features and bring home the best one.
Looking for some options? Head to 9 Best Refrigerators In India 2023 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide.
- A Full Analysis Of The Samsung 198 L 4-Star Inverter Single Door Refrigerator: Can It Be What You Need? - December 12, 2022
- A Close Look At The Modest Yet Powerful LG 190 L Inverter 4-Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About The New Godrej 190 L 5-Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022