Split AC vs Window AC: This is a debatable topic even today. The output from the two appliances is the same – cool air. But the technologies used by the two are completely different.
The sole reason behind me talking about this is to let you know everything about each one of them. While most people have advanced to the modern-looking appliance – split air conditioner, we still have a category of people inclined towards the traditional looking window air conditioner. And why not? The latter also has a whole set of positives attached to it.
Of course, we have a set of people searching for the best air conditioner but are in a bit of a dilemma. Well, if you are one of them and baffled about which would be the appropriate one for your home, my blog is all you need right now.
By the end, you are going to know every little detail. To your surprise, you may also end up suggesting your friends and family.
Split AC vs Window AC
We are now going to dig deep into the two types of ACs.
1. Window AC
A window AC is a single unit with all the components placed in the outside section. The unit is always mounted in a window. One face of it is installed on the inside and the other components outside the window.
The air conditioner uses the refrigerant to eradicate all the humidity and excessive heat from the room. Once the room temperature rises, the thermostat gets triggered and turns the blower on. The hot air then gets pulled into the unit and passes over the cold refrigerant coil. This air gets cooled gradually once is it passes through the coils and is moved outside the room. Let me explain the process in a simplified manner.
How does a window AC work? Step-by-Step
- Step 1: Once you turn on the air conditioner, the in-built fan pulls out the air and pushes it to the air conditioner filters to eradicate all the airborne particles.
- Step 2: Simultaneously, the refrigerant takes over to release the heat. It is converted from a hot liquid to a gaseous state and back to a liquid state. The final liquid state is cold.
- Step 3: In the process of refrigeration, the cold refrigerant passes through the indoor coil and meets all the hot air pulled by the air conditioner.
- Step 4: Once the cold refrigerant and the hot air come together, it lowers the temperature in the room and increases the temperature of the refrigerant.
- Step 5: As the temperature of the refrigerant rises, it gets converted into a vapour. The vapour then passes through a compressor and raises the pressure, and moves towards the condenser coil.
- Step 6: In this stage, the refrigeration cycle gets completed. The vapour undergoes the process of condensation once it enters the condenser coil. All the heat gets expelled outside and gets converted into a liquid state.
- Step 7: The cold refrigerant then passes through the expansion valve. In this process, it lowers the pressure of the liquid, which is at high speed. The liquid temperature further drops down and then returns to the evaporator coil.
- Step 8: When the hot air comes into contact with the cold liquid, its temperature descends by default. The air then passes through the coil and moves back to the room. It then lowers the room temperature.
What are the advantages of a window AC?
- The most obvious advantage of a window air conditioner is that it is fairly inexpensive.
- Installing the appliance is easy.
- The appliance is kind of portablish. You can easily move it from one window to another. You can easily relocate the appliance.
- Window air conditioners are energy savers. The cost of operation is significantly low.
- You can get a window AC installed in any kind of room.
- Window air conditioners are a great option for people living in a rented house.
- The appliance is an ideal choice for tiny rooms as well.
- The cooling and heating technology makes it an all year appliance.
- Fitting a window air conditioner does not involve any plumbing work.
- The presence of ducts is eliminated.
What are the disadvantages of a window AC?
- A window air conditioner is not energy efficient in the case of large-sized rooms.
- It has an unsophisticated design and hence can be an eyesore for some.
- The functioning of the appliance can get noisy.
- Even the best window ac may not be very effective in very humid weather.
- The fitting of the appliance will have a blocked window view.
- Compares to split ACS, window air conditioners have fewer features.
- Window air conditioner panels can let in hot air, and this can make the appliance less efficient.
Check our blog on – Top 9 Best Window AC in India 2023: Review and Buying Guide from the Experts for some cool options.
2. Split AC
Unlike window air conditioners, this appliance has two units. And that’s exactly why it is called a split AC. The air conditioner has an indoor and outdoor unit. The indoor unit contains an evaporator coil. The outdoor unit comprises a condenser and compressor. Both of them are connected with a duct or a pipe. The main components of a split AC are compressor, evaporator coil, expansion valve and condenser coil. Let me walk you through the working of a split AC.
How does a split AC work? Step-by-step
- Step 1: Once the compressor starts, it compresses the refrigerant. At this stage, the refrigerant heats up and flows into the condenser coil. The fan then circulates the outdoor air in the coil and eradicates all the heat from the refrigerant. Once the refrigerant loses the heat, it turns into a liquid.
- Step 2: The expansion valve then lowers the pressure and cools down the refrigerant. It converts a certain amount of liquid into gas.
- Step 3: The cold refrigerant then reaches the evaporator coil. The blower of the coil circulates the room air within the coil.
- Step 4: In this process, the refrigerant absorbs all the heat from the room. This makes the room cool.
- Step 5: The refrigerant then turns back into a liquid state and goes back into the compressor.
What are the advantages of a split AC?
- Split air conditioners have an elegant and sophisticated design. Hence, they are aesthetically pleasing.
- Regardless of the brand and model, you select, every split AC is super silent in its operation.
- The best split acs has all the features to ensure the air circulating in the room is completely pure.
- Unlike a window AC, the installation of a split AC does not require holes in the wall.
- Even the basic models of a split AC are equipped with remote control. Therefore, it is easy to control the appliance.
- Split air conditioners deliver quick cooling, especially in large-sized rooms.
- The heating capabilities of the appliance is unmatched.
- Split air conditioners ensure the user saves on money and energy.
- The unit promises low consumption of power.
What are the disadvantages of a split AC?
- The biggest setback of a split AC is the upfront cost. The appliance is way more expensive compared to a window AC.
- It may be inappropriate to install a split AC in a multi-story apartment.
- The appliance is certainly whisper-quiet inside. However, the exterior compressor could get very noisy.
- Installation, repair and maintenance; all three situations could prove out to be costly.
Split AC vs Window AC: Detailed Comparision
Let’s begin with differentiating both cooling appliances on the most obvious parameter. If you compare the cost of a window and a split AC, you are sure to find a significant difference. It’s actually a no brainer. Right from purchasing to installing it to maintaining it to repairing it, a split AC exceeds the cost of a window AC in every aspect. Certainly, the cost of each appliance varies depending upon the brand, features, tonnage, energy ratings and more. On average, the best split ACs in India will cost you anywhere between Rs. 25,000 – Rs. 60,000. And the best window ACs in India should cost you between Rs. 15,000 – Rs. 30,000.
2. Cooling capabilities
Though the cooling capabilities of both appliances are good, it also kind of depends upon the tonnage and other criteria. Split ACs are designed to cool larger rooms because they are mounted high. Also, they are available in high tonnage compared to window ACs. But that’s not the case with window ACs. They are designed to circulate air efficiently in smaller rooms.
3. Consumption of energy
Firstly, the consumption of energy depends upon the star rating of the appliance. You cannot compare a 3-star split and a 5-star window aircon. Regardless of the type of air conditioner, a 5-star air conditioner is certainly more efficient than a 3 star one. However, if you compare the same rated air conditioner, a split aircon is more efficient than a window one. Furthermore, non-inverter models are not as forgiving as inverter models. Also, the efficiency of any air conditioner deteriorates as and as it gets old.
4. Consumption of space
We have already discovered that a window AC has just one unit, unlike a split AC with two units. Therefore, the former requires a large opening on the window for its installation. You may also have to designate the whole window for the fitting of the unit. In the case of a split AC, the mounting of the unit will give you some amount of flexibility.
5. Aesthetic Appeal
Hands down, a split AC outshines a window AC with its aesthetic appeal. Split ACs are designed to blend well with indoor decor. It is sleek, attractive and eye-pleasing. In the case of a window AC, they are certainly very traditional looking. Rather, they can be very obnoxious looking and spoil the look of your wall.
The compressor is generally responsible for the unit to get noise. In the case of a split AC, the compressor is placed in the outside unit. This is completely separated from the inner unit. Therefore, the working of a split aircon is pretty much silent. Rather, you may not even realize when the unit is functional. However, this is not the case with a window AC. The appliance can get really loud.
There is no comparison between a window and a split air conditioner when it comes to being feature-packed. The latter is equipped with advanced features like sleep mode, self-cleaning mode, self-diagnosis, dry mode, sleep mode, auto restart, dehumidifier and more. If you are looking to invest in a window AC, you have to be okay with missing all these features.
LG 1.5 Ton 5 Star Wi-Fi Inverter Window AC is one of the exceptions in window ACs, having the most advanced features. For a detailed review, don’t forget to check our blog on – Top 9 Best Window AC in India 2023: Review and Buying Guide from the Experts.
Split AC vs Window AC: Comparision Table
|Parameter||Type of Air Conditioner|
|Which one is cost-effective?||Window AC|
|Which one has better cooling capabilities?||Split AC|
|Which one has a better aesthetic appeal?||Split AC|
|Which one is feature-packed?||Split AC|
|Which one can be moved easily?||Window AC|
|Which one is a space saver?||Split AC|
|Which one is equipped with the inverter technology?||Split AC|
|Which one is silent in its operation?||Split AC|
|Which one is silent in its operation?||Split AC|
|Which one is low on maintenance?||Window AC|
One Last Thought
Let’s get back to where we began from. Split AC vs Window AC: Which one’s better? Certainly, both the cooling appliances have their own set of perks. So, how do you decide on one of them? Let me tell you which appliance fits perfectly in which situation.
When should you buy a window AC?
- If you are under a budget constraint.
- If you are looking for an air conditioner for a small-sized room.
- If you live in a rented home and often get relocated.
When should you buy a split AC?
- If you are looking for an energy-efficient cooling appliance.
- If aesthetic appeal is one of your major concerns.
- If you are looking for a large-sized room.
Well, that was all about both types of air conditioners. I am assuming there is no room for confusion anymore. In case you are still perplexed about anything, you know you don’t have to shy away from me.
- A Full Analysis Of The Samsung 198 L 4-Star Inverter Single Door Refrigerator: Can It Be What You Need? - December 12, 2022
- A Close Look At The Modest Yet Powerful LG 190 L Inverter 4-Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About The New Godrej 190 L 5-Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022
2 thoughts on “Split AC vs Window AC – Which one should you buy?”
1 . What about the installation cost of Split AC
2. . Why cumbersome split AC when the nearby window is available in the room?
Whats the diff between inverter and not inverter in split type and window type. Which is most recommended in 16sqm room