When buying the best water purifier, it’s important to consider the entire water purifier’s construction material. However, it’s especially important to consider what the storage tank is made of. After all, that’s where your water is going to stay. Stainless steel water purifier tanks are generally preferred over plastic storage tanks. However, the latter still offers some good benefits.
In this post, I’ll pit Stainless Steel vs ABS Plastic RO Water Purifier Tanks and explain all their pros and cons to you so you can choose what fits you the best.
Stainless Steel vs ABS Plastic RO Water Purifier Tanks
ABS Plastic Water Purifier Tanks
ABS stands for Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene. It’s a thermoplastic material, which is a kind of material that can be moulded and reused. Although, despite its malleability, it’s still highly durable and can even handle chemical corrosion easily.
Pros Of ABS Plastic Water Purifier Tanks
- ABS Plastic is very resistant to corrosion, so abrasive materials won’t ruin your stored water.
- This kind of plastic is very lightweight compared to Stainless Steel, so maintaining and moving the purifier around is very convenient.
- ABS Plastic has a glossy look, which adds to the appearance of the purifier.
- It’s impact-resistant, so the tank won’t get damaged if it falls.
- Costs much less than Stainless Steel tanks.
- ABS Plastic Tanks have more variation in their designs over their Stainless Steel counterparts, thanks to how easy they are to shape.
Cons Of ABS Plastic Water Purifier Tanks
- ABS Plastic isn’t very good at resisting UV rays, which means you can’t keep the tank near any area that brings in direct sunlight.
- These tanks need a lot more cleaning than stainless steel tanks do.
- Though this kind of plastic is durable, it still can’t last as long as the steel tanks do.
- Becomes weaker to certain chemicals over time.
Recommended Reading: How to find the Best Water Purifier: Buying Guide from the Experts
Stainless Steel Water Purifier Tanks
There’s little chance your home isn’t already full of stainless steel items. Most kitchen utilities are usually made of such material. Pressure cookers are a good example. While older water purifier models weren’t stainless steel, things are much different these days. A lot of good water purifiers are made of that at this point.
Pros Of Stainless Steel Water Purifier Tanks
- Stainless steel doesn’t rust, even if you leave the water in it for a long time.
- This kind of steel is radiation-resistant, so you won’t have any trouble keeping it near anywhere exposed to direct sunlight.
- Stainless steel is completely non-toxic.
- Stainless steel tanks don’t erode, so it’s easier to clean them.
- There’s a much smaller chance of mould or bacteria growing in the interior of these tanks.
- Stainless steel is incredibly durable in general, so it lasts a long time.
- These tanks don’t contaminate any water stored in them, even if they get damaged.
- Has better chemical resistance.
Cons Of Stainless Steel
- Stainless steel tanks are heavier.
- Surfaces of tanks made with such material tend to attract fingerprints.
- Stainless steel tanks cost more than ABS plastic ones.
- There are fewer Stainless Steel tank water purifiers available on the market than ABS plastic ones.
Recommended Reading: Is RO purified water safe to drink? REVEALED!
Stainless Steel vs ABS Plastic RO Water Purifier Tanks: Comparison Table
Here, I’ll sum up the differences between ABS plastic water purifier tanks and stainless steel ones.
|Stainless Steel Water Purifier Tanks||ABS Plastic Water Purifier Tanks|
|Has excellent chemical resistance||Resistance wears down over time|
|Not very impact-resistant||Excellent impact-resistance|
|Better overall durability than plastic tanks||Durable, but not so much as stainless steel|
|Not many model varieties are available on the market||A lot more varieties available on the market|
|Easy to clean||Not as easy to clean|
|They're expensive||They cost much less.|
Recommended Reading: Which are the best water purifier brands in India: 2023 Picks
Frequently Asked Questions
Recommended Reading: 8 Common RO Water Purifier Myths Debunked
So, which one wins when it comes to Stainless Steel vs ABS Plastic RO Water Purifier Tanks?
ABS plastic is good, but the most notable benefits such tanks offer are good impact resistance and lower initial prices. Meanwhile, stainless steel has a much less significant list of cons and offers more reliability and long term durability. So, I’d say stainless steel wins, without a doubt, and I’d highly recommend you go for water purifiers with stainless steel tanks.
That’s all for now; I hope I’ve helped you get a clear idea of both types of tanks. I’ll come back to you soon with more useful water purifier posts. Have a good day!
- A Full Analysis Of The Samsung 198 L 4-Star Inverter Single Door Refrigerator: Can It Be What You Need? - December 12, 2022
- A Close Look At The Modest Yet Powerful LG 190 L Inverter 4-Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About The New Godrej 190 L 5-Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022