Water purifiers are incredibly common in India. However, a lot of households also use water softeners. These are especially useful for people that use a hard water source. Softeners can make life a lot easier for them. Are you wondering about which one you need? Well, this post can answer that for you; I’ll put Water Softeners Vs Water Purifiers and explain all their differences, along with how they work.
Water Softeners Vs Water Purifiers
Both these water treatment systems have their own uses, and sometimes it might be a better idea to have both at home. Read on to find out which arrangement is right for you.
Water softeners are devices that remove calcium, magnesium, and other mineral ions from hard water. They do so through a process called “Ion Exhange”. First off, the hard water goes through a large tank that contains a softening resin, which contains negatively charged Sodium Ions. During the process, these ions attract the positively charged calcium and magnesium ions from the hard water, making it soft. Afterwards, the softener then replaces the taken minerals with the positively charged sodium ions.
Pros Of Water Softeners
- Softens water for every purpose.
- Keeps plumbing pipes in a better condition.
- Keeps limescale from building up in sinks and faucets.
- Reduces soap usage as soft water makes it easier to lather with a smaller amount.
- Ensures proper cleaning of hair when bathing.
- Produced water cleans glassware and clothes more efficiently.
Cons Of Water Softeners
- Doesn’t purify water at all.
- Bad for people on a low-sodium diet.
- Only high-capacity water softeners are available, and most good models can be rather expensive.
Most areas in India have a good amount of hard water, so regardless of whether you live in an area concentrated with hard water or not, it would be a good idea to install a water softener. That way, you can do daily chores that need water a lot more efficiently. Plus, your home appliances and plumbings will stay safe as well.
While water softeners only remove minerals that cause water to be hard, water purifiers go further and remove all sorts of contaminants from the water, thus purifying it. The amount of purification these appliances can offer depends on the filtration system they use. But most water purifiers can filter out dirt, sediment, chlorine, heavy metals, fluoride, nitrates, and even some viruses.
I won’t be going deep into how purifiers work, as there are several types, and each works differently. For a better idea of the types of purification systems, you can take a look at this post.
Pros Of Water Purifiers
- They can get rid of contaminants.
- They get rid of sediments.
- They can improve the colour and taste of water.
- Great models available in every price range.
Cons Of Water Purifiers
- Can’t be used for bathing, washing or any other chores.
- They take up a lot of space.
- They can’t get rid of limescale.
- They can’t soften water.
Water softeners are optional, and you can go by without using them. Water purifiers, though, are a necessity. There is a lot of groundwater pollution in India these days. So, if you want to stay safe and healthy, you should really invest in the best water purifier.
Recommended Reading: Which are the best water purifier brands in India: 2023 Picks
Is It Better To Have Both?
It is indeed a great idea to install both a water softener and a water purifier at home. The softener will make your household tasks a lot easier and save your resources. Meanwhile, the purifier will make sure you stay in tip-top shape. In fact, since the softener removes a lot of minerals, it’ll actually complement the purifier. Additionally, if you get an RO Water Purifier equipped with a TDS controller, the removed minerals will get replaced by those actually healthy for the body.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are plenty of questions regarding this topic; I’ll address the most popular ones.
Recommended Reading: How to find the Best Water Purifier: Buying Guide from the Experts
Water Softener vs Water Purifier– there isn’t a clear winner between them, as they serve completely different functions. If you were to choose only one, then I’d recommend water purifiers, as your health is the most important thing. However, as I’ve said a couple of times before, the best choice is to have both. Water softeners can make life easier in general, and purifiers can take care of your health.
- A Full Analysis Of The Samsung 198 L 4-Star Inverter Single Door Refrigerator: Can It Be What You Need? - December 12, 2022
- A Close Look At The Modest Yet Powerful LG 190 L Inverter 4-Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About The New Godrej 190 L 5-Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator - December 3, 2022