How to clean gas stoves most effectively? Most likely, you know the basics. But what you don’t know is the procedure of cleaning each gas stove part.
The tough times of COVID-19 have enforced stay-home protocols upon all of us. This has been a considerable reason behind our kitchens being functional 24 hours; you would agree, right? More cooking means more cleaning!
Tell me something, is your house also one of them wherein everyone’s cooking, whipping up their favourite dishes and not bothering about the aftermath? Do you guys leave the gas stove cleaning for the next day? Have you ever thought about the outcome of an unclean gas stove?
I am not asking you to spend hours cleaning the gas stove every day. But basic cleaning after every meal, a little detailed cleaning at the end of the day and probably deep cleaning every weekend. Is it too much to ask for? You are going to be consuming every little thing prepared on that platform. So, why not keep it spic and span?
Remember the formula ‘The one who maintains cleanliness keeps away diseases’. This rule applies not just to yourself but also to your gas stove.
Before I get onto how to clean gas stove easy techniques, let me state the consequences of an unclean gas stove.
- The odour will pass on to the air. Your kitchen will begin to smell.
- The burner flame will get inefficient.
- You will find debris sitting on the gas stove.
- High chances of the dirt getting into the fresh meal being prepared.
- An unclean gas stove means an unclean kitchen.
- Cleaning dried out stains gets tougher with time.
Hey! We are not up for these fallouts, right? So, let us put in a little work and keep the gas stove perfectly immaculate.
How to Clean Gas Stove? Tried & Tested ways out!
Before I begin telling you how to clean the gas stove, here is a tip you must keep in mind. Once you are done with the cooking, do not jump on the cleaning process. Let the burner and the grates cool down. If it is hot, you will end up burning your fingers. Also, it will not get cleaned properly.
They say cooking is an art. But I would say cleaning the gas stove the right way is a bigger art. Ready to be an artist? Just kidding! I am not teaching you anything rocketry here. Just want to share some secrets with my beloved readers.
I am sure you are already using one of the best gas stoves. You must distinctively clean every part of it. Therefore, I’ll speak about each component independently.
How to Clean Gas Stove Top?
Cleaning the gas stovetop is the easiest. I have three methods. Follow what suits you.
1. Baking Soda + Vinegar Mixture
- Step 1: Before you begin cleaning the gas stovetop, make sure to remove the grates. Soak these grates in a bowl filled with warm water and soap.
- Step 2: Make a dense paste of baking soda, vinegar and some water.
- Step 3: Spread the paste on the gas stovetop with the help of a paintbrush.
- Step 4: Let the paste rest on it for good 30-40 minutes.
- Step 5: Watch the baked-on food break down.
- Step 6: Take a clean sponge and wipe off the paste thoroughly.
2. Dishwasher liquid soap + water
- Step 1: Begin only once the cooktop has cooled down. Remove the grates and clean them with the dishwasher soap (only if they are dishwasher safe). Or else use soap and water to do so.
- Step 2: Use a paper towel to wipe away any stray crumbs.
- Step 3: Pour a generous amount of dishwasher liquid into a big bowl and mix it with hot water.
- Step 4: Put on your dish gloves and bring out a mild scouring pad.
- Step 5: Dip the scrubber in the liquid and begin cleaning the cooktop surface.
- Step 6: Be careful around the burners. Keep some distance.
- Step 7: Once you have scrubbed all the dirt, spray the surface with water or a glass cleaner.
- Step 8: Wipe it completely with a clean cloth.
- Step 9: Now, it’s time to get to the smaller sections near the burners. Use a toothbrush to remove all the food particles and dirt.
You can substitute dishwasher liquid with any other liquid soap. I have also come across a lot of queries about people asking how to clean glass gas stoves. The cleaning procedure remains the same. You only need to be sure of using a soft scrubber to avoid any scratches.
3. Ammonia + Liquid Soap
- Step 1: Begin with cleaning the gas stovetop with a sponge and liquid soap. You don’t have to scrub it hard here. Just an easy wipe is good.
- Step 2: Remove the burner grates and the drip pans. Place them aside.
- Step 3: Place paper towels on the top surface.
- Step 4: Pour ammonia evenly over the paper towels. You can make use of a tablespoon and drizzle it over the paper towel.
- Step 5: Take a plastic wrap and cover the paper towel. Leaving the kitchen window open will be a great idea because ammonia is pungent.
- Step 6: Leave the gas stove unattended for 3-4 hours.
- Step 7: Then go ahead and remove the plastic wrap and paper towel.
- Step 8: Wipe the surface with a sponge gently. There will be no requirement to scrub it because all the spots would have disappeared by then.
Note: You must perform the same procedure for the grates and the drip pans set aside.
How to Clean Gas Stove Pipes?
Most people tend to ignore this part. Cleaning the gas stove pipe is as pivotal as the other components. Let’s have a look at how you can do it conveniently.
1. Lemon Juice + water
- Step 1: Pull a plastic bag and fill it up with water and lime juice.
- Step 2: Insert the pipe in it and let it rest for one hour.
- Step 3: Then, take the pipe and scrub it with a hard brush. You will be surprised to see how lime juice can remove stuck-on grease so comfortably.
- Step 4: Rinse it through clean water and then let it dry out naturally.
- Step 5: Once dried, wipe through with a clean cloth.
2. Vinegar + water
- Step 1: Take a big bowl and prepare a mixture of vinegar and water. The mixture should have an equal amount of both.
- Step 2: Detach the pipe and immerse it in the solution.
- Step 3: Let it stay soaked in for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Step 4: Once you pull out the pipe from the solution, scrub it hard with a brush.
- Step 5: Rinse it through clean water and dry it.
- Step 6: If you still find any stains on it, you can repeat the process.
How to Clean Clogged Gas Stove Burners?
If you don’t clean the gas stove burners periodically, the efficiency of the flame will diminish by the day. So, yes, it is very important you clean this as well.
1. Liquid Soap + Baking Soda
- Step 1: Prepare a mixture of liquid soap, baking soda and water. You can decide the quantity of baking soda depending upon how tough the stains are.
- Step 2: Remove the grates and then detach the burners.
- Step 3: Soak the burners in the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Step 4: Use a non-abrasive sponge to scrub all the dirt and baked-on food.
- Step 5: You can also use a toothbrush to eliminate the finer stains.
- Step 6: Rinse them, dry them and then reassemble them.
- Step 7: Light the gas stove burner to check if it has the same usual flame. If you notice any abnormalities in its functionality, it means that the burner has not dried up properly.
- Step 8: Give it a while to dry out completely.
Note: You can substitute baking soda with vinegar and do exactly the same things.
2. Lemon Juice
- Step 1: Soak a dishrag in lemon juice for a couple of minutes.
- Step 2: Rub it on the burner and let the juice remain on it for 20-30 minutes. You can leave it for a longer time if you find stubborn stuck-on food particles.
- Step 3: Take a non-abrasive scrub and scrub the burner well.
- Step 4: For any fine stained particles, I have another solution for you. Take a toothbrush and dip it in the solution of salt and water.
- Step 5: Scrub the specific areas with it.
How to Clean Gas Stove Burner Holes?
1. Vinegar + Lemon
- Step 1: Fill a bowl with water, two tablespoons of white vinegar and squeeze one lime into it.
- Step 2: Immerse the burners in this solution and keep them overnight.
- Step 3: Once your pull out the burners, scrub them hard with a soft sponge. The burners will get clean, but the sponge will not get into the sleeker areas – like the burner holes.
- Step 4: Toothpick, needles or safety pin. Would you please make use of either of it? Dig them in the burner holes and remove all the dirt. Because of being soaked in the mixture overnight, all the dirt will come out quickly.
- Step 5: Once done, wipe it with a clean cloth.
2. Cooking soda + Eno
- Step 1: Take hot water in a bowl and sprinkle some cooking soda and eno (readily available pack).
- Step 2: You may also add some salt to this mixture.
- Step 3: Immerse the gas stove burners for 4-5 hours in this solution.
- Step 4: Then, scrub the burners with some detergent using a toothbrush.
- Step 5: To get the dirt out of the burner holes, you need to follow the same procedure as mentioned above. Use a pin, needle or toothpick.
- Step 6: Once it’s clean, you can dry it with a cloth or let it happen naturally.
How to Clean Gas Stove Burner Heads?
Cleaning the gas stove burner heads and gates is very similar to cleaning the gas stovetop and gas stove burner. I’ll just tell you the cleaning agents you can use. The course of action remains the same.
- Baking Soda
- White Vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Dishwasher liquid soap
- Cooking soda + Eno
- Kitchen cleaner
How to Maintain a Gas Stove?
Let me be honest with you. There’s no dirt or stain you cannot remove using my cleaning methods. However, I would still recommend you adopting some tips to maintain a gas stove from my blog. It will only help your appliance last longer with maximum efficiency. And it will keep you away from unpleasant circumstances.
10 Easy Ways to Maintain a Gas Stove
- Get your gas stove serviced once in six months.
- In case of any overflows, wipe it immediately.
- Keep an eye on the burner flame.
- You must do the basic cleaning after every use.
- Deep clean your gas stove once a week (soak & scrub).
- Do not involve a knife in the cleaning procedure.
- Keep all the gas stove components always dry to avoid rust.
- Do not pour water on the gas stove directly.
- Keep the burner knobs clean as well.
- Avoid using too much water in the mixture.
One Last Thought
So, that was my blog about how to clean a gas stove. How many of these cleaning methods are you already practising? Well, it’s never too late. Make this appliance a sparkling addition to your kitchen by following the mentioned simple and easy ways. Cleaning the food spills and caked-on food residue can be a task if you let it rest for long. I am sure all of you are enthusiastic cooks. But I’ll be more than happy if you keep your appliance squeaky-clean and spotless. Oh, forget me! You will feel good about it yourself.
So, when are you starting?
Also, glance through our blog on the 9 Best gas stoves in India 2023 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide.
PS: Keep steel wool and beach agents away from your gas stove burners.
Latest posts by Sourav Roy (see all)