Having the best water purifier at home today is the need of the hour. Unlike other kitchen and home appliances designed to make life simple, a water purifier is a requirement in life. Therefore, I am here to guide you on how to find the best water purifier for your home.
Table of Contents
- The Importance of a Water Purifier: FACTS!
- How to find the Best Water Purifier?
This subject is close to my heart because having contaminated water is a serious health concern. Drinking unclean water can transmit diseases like typhoid, cholera, polio and diarrhoea. As per the World Health Organization (WHO), almost 785 million lack basic drinking water services. You can know more facts on the same- https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/drinking-water. Also, an estimated 4,80,000 children die annually due to consuming unsafe water.
Therefore, I take this responsibility to enlighten you on the importance of a water purifier and how to find a suitable one for your home. Let’s together safeguard the world from adulterated water.
The Importance of a Water Purifier: FACTS!
Ever wondered how brutally unclean water can affect you? Contaminated water can lead you to suffer from the following
- Stomach pain
- Gastrointestinal disease
- Damaged nervous system
- Hormone disruption
- Damaged reproductive system
- Kidney problems
Hey, I don’t mean to scare you. The solution to staying away from these hazardous problems is simple – bring home the right water purifier.
Recommended Reading: Effects of Heavy Metals Contamination in Drinking Water
How to find the Best Water Purifier?
Before I begin with my buying guide, I would like to tell you to pay detailed attention to it. Your time is precious, yes! But your invested time can successfully keep you away from a lot of life-threatening diseases.
Shall we begin?
1. Water purification technology
Choosing the right type of water purifier is imperative. What are the options available for you to choose from? RO, UV and UF.
When should you opt for a RO water purifier?
- The Reverse Osmosis (RO) water purifiers are ideal for areas with a hard water supply.
- RO purifiers are the only solution for water with high TDS levels.
- If the water supply comprises heavy metals, toxic impurities and arsenic, this one works best.
Recommended Reading: RO (Reverse Osmosis) Water Purifiers – Pros and Cons
When should you opt for a UV water purifier?
- Ultra Violet (UV) water purifiers are ideal for decontaminating municipal corporations and tap water.
- The purifier can eliminate 99.99% of viruses and bacteria from the water.
Recommended Reading: UV (Ultra-Violet) Water Purifiers – Pros and Cons
When should you choose a UF water purifier?
- It works well in areas with low TDS levels and no electricity.
- The Ultra Filteration (UF) water purifier can eliminate harmful germs from the water.
- It can disinfect turbid and mud water.
- If the water is high on chlorine, the UF purifier can do the needful.
Recommended Reading: UF (Ultra-Filtration) Water Purifier – Pros and Cons
2. Quality of water
Knowing the quality of water at home is equally important. The water quality strongly depends upon the source of water at home. It could either be soft or hard water. Hard water comprises high TDS (total dissolved salts) in the water. If you have access to groundwater, the TDS levels will range between 200 – 500 ppm.
However, if you have access to borewell water, the TDS value in the water will be high – more than 500 ppm. In case of high TDS value, the water is going to be absolutely unsafe. So, in this situation, only a UV water purifier is not sufficient. Bring home the best RO + UV water purifier. Check some options on – Top 9 Best Water Purifiers in India (2021): Expert’s Pick.
Recommended Reading: How to check TDS of water
3. Water purifier storage capacity
The storage capacity of the water purifier is one of the most salient aspects to look into. How do you decide on what capacity is right for your household? It’s simple. You can determine the capacity of the appliance based on the number of family members at home.
- For 2-4 members, a water purifier with 5-8 litres storage capacity should be sufficient.
- For 4-6 members, a water purifier with a storage capacity of 8-10 litres should be sufficient.
- If there are more than 6 members, I recommend bringing home a water purifier with more than 10 litres of capacity.
Choosing a water purifier with the right storage capacity is so crucial. Especially if you live in an area with frequent power cuts. Water purifiers with large storage capacity will ensure that you never fall short of having clean water at home.
4. Type of water purifier tank
You must certainly not neglect the importance of a water purifier tank. The appliance is commonly found in two types of storage tanks – plastic and stainless steel. If you are baffled about which one is a better option, let me bring forward the facts of both to you.
- Stainless steel tank: Water purifiers with stainless steel tanks are the best ones. The fabrication of the tanks is such that they provide complete protection against impurities and insects. Also, they are capable of preventing bacteria formation. This maintains high-level hygiene in the storage tank.
- Plastic tank: The plastic material storage tanks are capable enough to give growth to bacteria and algae. It doesn’t end there; it also encourages dust and other insects in the storage tank. Therefore, the purpose of having clean water does not get solved. The water will still be unsafe and contaminated.
5. Water purifier certifications
I am not sure about how many of you look into this factor but scrutinizing this aspect is equally important. Certified water purifiers make sure that the brand is reliable, dependable and authentic. I would rather put it up as you can trust the water purifier without having any second thoughts about the quality and purification process.
6. Filter change alarm
The filter change alarm is one of the safety features you cannot afford to neglect. Filters are certainly a pivotal element of the water purification process. Changing them from time to time is imperative. But how do you know when is the right time to change the filters? The best water purifiers are designed in a special way to notify the user when it is the perfect time to change the filters. Rather, the appliance will start notifying you 15 days prior to the expiry to give you enough time to get it replaced.
If it reaches the expiry date without being replaced, the auto shut feature will activate, and the purifier will not release water. This mechanism ensures that you will never consume impure water.
7. Energy Efficiency
Isn’t everyone around only looking for home and kitchen appliances that are energy efficient? So, yes, buying a water purifier that consumes less power should be on your list. We have already discovered how UF water purifiers can function efficiently even without electricity.
However, that’s not the case with RO and UV purifiers. The technologies used and purification process is advanced, and therefore it requires a substantial amount of energy. But in general, water purifiers are energy-efficient appliances.
Who said that a water purifier could not be aesthetically pleasing? Gone are the days when this appliance had a basic and boring looking body. Manufacturers have now taken one step forward to deliver stylish and appealing water purifiers. Investing in one of them makes complete sense. It is sure to enhance the look of your modular kitchen.
9. Service & Maintenance
The after-sales service and maintenance are important factors to be considered in most appliances but most prominently in a water purifier. The reason being water purifiers are equipped with filters that need regular maintenance. If the maintenance is not done periodically, the filter will not do its job of purifying the water. Therefore, choosing a water purifier brand with prompt after-sales services is important.
How to find the Best Water Purifier? One Last Thought
So that was a crisp buying guide by the experts. Barring the mentioned parameters, you must consider the purifier’s budget, brand, warranty period, and purification capacity.
Also, what you can do is begin by knowing the source of water at home. Then know the TDS and contamination level in the water. Please choose your favourite brand and get well versed with its features. Consider the storage capacity sufficient for your family. Finally, find out about the after-sales services and maintenance costs. One of the smart things to do is reading through customer reviews on each product. That’s the best first-hand experience you can get familiar with.
Also, if you have a soft water supply with a low TDS level, you can opt for a UF water purifier. However, if it is soft water with high contamination, you will need a UF + UV water purifier. In the case of hard water, a RO water purifier is a must. Hard water with high contamination – there’s no room for compromise. It would be best if you had nothing less than a RO + UV + UF water purifier.
PS: Our blog on the Top 9 Best Water Purifiers in India (2021): Expert’s Pick has the best options, which you can be sure of not finding anywhere else.
- RO vs UV vs UF – Water Purifiers
- Safe Drinking Water Guidelines in India
- The Right pH Levels of Drinking Water- Explained!
- Arsenic Poisoning in Water – Sources, Effects & Prevention
- Fluoride in Drinking Water in India – Sources, Effects & Prevention
- Dolby Digital Plus vs Dolby Atmos vs Stereo: Surround Sound Explained - September 23, 2021
- Bluetooth Speaker vs Smart Speaker: Which one is better? - September 22, 2021
- Neckbands vs True Wireless Earbuds: Which one should you choose? - September 20, 2021